Folk Bicycles

handcrafted bicycles that fulfill a need of function and grace

Sunday, October 29, 2006



So here are a couple of highlites from my frame. This is the first fillet brazing I have ever done. It was great fun, but the cleanup took a while.

Notice there is no binder on the seat collar? I was inspired by a few bikes in the "Golden Age of Handbuilt Bicycles", namely some Alex Singer's and others that had an internally expanding seatpost. It looked so clean. I am modifying a cruiser post to take an 1-1/8" quill stem wedge. I'll be painting the bike tomorrow. It is supposed to be in the sixeties! Have to take advantage of the weather while I can. We have had a tast of chilly weather the last week or so, just a teaser of what is to come. See you soon. Ahren

2 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Blogger Jess, Dylan, Alexis, Max & Emily said...

Dude! Sweet photos... must be from a sweet camera! :-) Can't wait to see more...

Love,
Jess

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Ahren. I just came upon your blog. I have an Appel frame from the mid-80's with no seat binder bolt. Mike Appel built it with a set screw angling in from the bottom of the top tube. Very clean. I rode that frame exclusively for almost 20 years because I never saw a more beautiful bike. I now have a modern techno-wonder bike, but the Appel still has my heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home