Folk Bicycles

handcrafted bicycles that fulfill a need of function and grace

Sunday, October 29, 2006



So here are a couple of highlites from my frame. This is the first fillet brazing I have ever done. It was great fun, but the cleanup took a while.

Notice there is no binder on the seat collar? I was inspired by a few bikes in the "Golden Age of Handbuilt Bicycles", namely some Alex Singer's and others that had an internally expanding seatpost. It looked so clean. I am modifying a cruiser post to take an 1-1/8" quill stem wedge. I'll be painting the bike tomorrow. It is supposed to be in the sixeties! Have to take advantage of the weather while I can. We have had a tast of chilly weather the last week or so, just a teaser of what is to come. See you soon. Ahren

3 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Blogger Shellie and Mark said...

Hey, Ahren! Great fun and good job. So, is your bicycle business Folk Bicycles or Banjo Cycles?

Highlites is spelled highlights.

Can't wait to see more. Love the stuff you wrote about yourself!

MOM

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Jess, Dylan, Alexis, Max & Emily said...

Dude! Sweet photos... must be from a sweet camera! :-) Can't wait to see more...

Love,
Jess

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Bob and Barbara said...

Hi Ahren. I just came upon your blog. I have an Appel frame from the mid-80's with no seat binder bolt. Mike Appel built it with a set screw angling in from the bottom of the top tube. Very clean. I rode that frame exclusively for almost 20 years because I never saw a more beautiful bike. I now have a modern techno-wonder bike, but the Appel still has my heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home